Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day....I Know I'm a Little Behind!

So, in addition to this being my busiest time of year work-wise (I'm supposed to be working from home as we speak...but, I have a little one with sniffles here keeping me company instead!!), Owen's teacher decided to require the kids to make hand-made Valentine's Day cards for his class of 25!!  Plus, each kiddo had to sign their name to every card...doesn't seem like such a big deal right?  Not until you sit down and start doing it....to give you an idea, this is how it sounds when Owen signs his name, "Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Dubaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu", well, you get the picture! Asking 3 to 5 year old kiddos to do that 25 times is like a 3 hour ordeal!  I was so glad his name wasn't Benjamin or something longer!!  I think we worked on these at least a little each night for almost two weeks!  Owen decorated a couple to begin with and was kind of pleased.  When I told him we still had more to do, you should have seen the look on his face!  It was like pulling teeth to get him to finish the rest!

Here's a picture of my little valentine...I know those are girly glasses, but, they don't make cute V-day stuff for boys!!  Plus, he thought they were hilarious and we had fun taking photos with them! ;O)

Here's some of our handy work.  I got the idea for these lollipop covers from Scrapbooks Etc.'s Craft it Forward project for February.  I think their pattern (click here to get it) may be a little off, but, I can't remember which measurement I had trouble with.

To accommodate the Jolly Rancher Heart lollipops, I cut Owen's a little differently.  I cut White Daisy cardstock in 2.5"x6" strips and scored at 2.5", 2.75", and 5.25".  I cut a strip of Cranberry cardstock punched with a Martha Stewart border punch and glued the top of it down to the wrapper so that I could tuck the 3/4" flap up under the hearts to hold it closed.  I finished my part by stamping "Happy Valentine's Day" on the inside using a dollar rubber stamp from Michael's and a "From" stamp that is included in the CTMH Share The Magic set.

Owen did the rest!  He used foam heart stickers we bought at JoAnns (sorry, don't remember the brand) and glitter glue from the dollar bins at Michael's. Note...the dollar glitter glue is NOTHING like Stickles!!  I was so upset when we finished, as I had Owen sign his name first and decorate afterwards.  The glitter glue soaked through the cardstock and made his name run...I felt SO bad, but, I sure as heck wasn't going to make him re-do them!! 


Owen feels no obligation to write the letters of his name in any particular order.  I tried to explain to him that they couldn't read it, but in the end, I didn't argue as I knew it was already going to be a long process without him being upset.  So, I went ahead and added his name legibly later myself.  He's such a goofball...tell me they grow out of this stage! ;O)

We had a lot of fun together making these, but, with just a couple weeks notice and SO many to do, it was also a little on the painful side.  We had fun going through all of the other kids' Valentines though.  You can tell that the girls tend to have a little more patience and interest when it comes to the arts and crafts stuff, their cards were typically FAR more creative and involved.  Almost every one of the boys stuck to a few stickers on a piece of paper their parents cut for them!!  So funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Book...Month 2

I started this layout so long ago, I can't even begin to tell you what site I took the layout from.  It's a little rough, but, I go...